Severndroog Castle is built, just a year after William James's death, on Shooter's Hill in the parish of Eltham.

Severndroog Castle is used as a surveying point for the detailed mapping of England.

Lady James dies and is buried in the family vault at St John's Churchyard, Eltham.

A proposal to build a 10,000 catacomb cemetery in terraces on the site, threatens the castle.

Mr John Blades, ex-sheriff of London, purchases the Castle.

The Royal Engineers use the building for conducting a survey of London.

1784

1790s

1798

1847

c. 1816

1848

Mr Thomas Jackson (an eminent railway and docks contractor of Eltham Park) buys the lease and his son lives there until the lease passes to Mr E Probyn Godson. Mr Godson later buys the freehold of the estate, including the Castle.

Mr Barlow, ship owner, leases Castle Wood. He terraces the slopes south of the Castle and builds Castle Wood House, but never lives there.

Mr E Probyn Godson leaves an option to buy the estate to the London County Council (LCC). The property transfers to LCC management in November. Castle Wood House and its outbuildings are demolished but the Castle is kept for 'park purposes'.

1874

c. 1869

1922

The Greater London Council (GLC) is abolished and the London Borough of Greenwich takes ownership. The Castle closes to the public.

The Castle plays an important part in air raid defences for London. Two observers man the tower 24 hours a day.

Greenwich Council proposes to lease the Castle to a property developer. A campaign to keep the Castle for the public begins.

1986

1939-1945

2002

The Severndroog Castle Building Preservation Trust (SCBPT) is set up by local people.

Severndroog Castle appears on the second series of the BBC2 programme "Restoration".

2003

2004

An event at the Castle commemorates the 250th anniversary of the Battle of Severndroog.

The Heritage Lottery Fund agrees to contribute to the restoration of Severndroog Castle.

The restored Castle opens to visitors.

2005

2010

2014

   0800 689 1796

The Great Severndroog Timeline

Severndroog Castle was built as a memorial to Sir William James. His widow, Lady James, wanted to celebrate his most famous exploit when he destroyed the fleet and stronghold of 'pirates' on the island fortress Survarnadurg (Severndroog), India in 1755.

SCROLL DOWN

Sir William James

1722 - 83

Lady Anne James

1742 - 98

The Severndroog Castle Building Preservation Trust (SCBPT) is a company limited by guarantee (No. 04641883). Registered charity No. 1127071.