F. R. Hay, after John Hassell, Seven Droog Castle, Shooter’s Hill, 1807, Private Collection.
© Ellen Bulford Welch.
This, more detailed, close-up engraving of Severndroog was published in 1807. Drawn by John Hassell and engraved by Frederick Rudolph Hay, this image is the only visual record we have of Severndroog’s original surroundings. Drawn from the Shooter’s Hill approach to the castle, the image shows a wall and ditch encircling the tower and a gatekeeper’s lodge built in a Grecian style, which was destroyed by a bomb during the Second World War. When the democratic activist John Thelwall visited Severndroog in 1793, he noted the clash between the Gothic (mock-medieval) and Grecian architectural styles of the castle and lodge. He suggested that the ‘man of real taste’ would build either ‘all in the Gothic, or all in the Grecian stile’. However, Thelwall also stated that the ‘dark brickwork of the lofty triangular tower’ made a pleasing ‘contrast to the grey walls of flint, and the elegant stone columns’ of the lodge and complimented the way in which Severndroog’s buildings blended with their woodland surroundings.
Hay's and Hassell's image of Severndroog inspired the coloured drawing below, which is the work of an amateur nineteenth-century artist.
'Severndroog Castle', nineteenth century, Private Collection.
© Jonathan Taylor
Frederick Rudolph Hay, after John Hassell, Seven Droog Castle, Shooter's Hill (1807)