In 1788 Severndroog Castle played a part in an important experiment. Trinity House, the body responsible for the safety of shipping, wanted to test new lamps for use in lighthouses. The lamps were placed on the roof of the Castle. Gentlemen living within 30 miles were asked to comment on the brightness of the various lights.
In 1785, Trinity House erected three lighthouses designed by Richard Jupp, architect of Severndroog Castle. These were sited at The Needles, St Catherine’s Point and Hurst Point, by Sir William James and Richard Jupp.
1867 drawing of Hurst Point Lighthouse, the Solent.